Have you ever thought about the things you share or discuss with your family, friends and colleagues? Do these discussions have any purpose? They impact your lives? Do they shape our thinking? Can sharing or discussing things help us? Let us take a brief look at this topic. Let us first see what these terms mean.
Talking about something seriously or deeply is known as a discussion.
Sharing – To divide something (here we must consider it as information/gossip) between people.
“Discussion is an exchange of knowledge, values and views.”
If you observe a complete day of yours, you are always around people, talking, sharing or discussing something or the other. We talk a lot while we are hanging around with people. But, when the day ends, we don’t even remember most of the things we discussed or shared. Mostly this happens because what we had discussed or shared had no real importance, meaning, and they do not have any major role in our lives.
Many times, people talk about topics that wouldn’t bother them at all, also you. Like we discuss others’ decisions (without even being a part of that decision). We also discuss social issues, there is no harm in discussing such crucial topics. But what is important is do we take actions or go out and work on the field to change the mis happening.
Discussing such topics is okay sometimes, but if you always “just” talk about such things it is just a waste of time.
We are keen to share the happenings of our day with people close to us. But without thinking much about it sometimes, we share things that are of no use to them. This results in wasting your own time and of the person who was involved in the conversation.
Also, sometimes we see a negative incident happening with someone (some road accident, fights in public places or similar incidents). We share it with our friends or family. This is the most inappropriate thing we do for them. Sharing a negative thing can change the whole thought process of the receiver. You cannot predict in which way he/she will take the shared thing. The shared incidence can get stuck in their brain and sometimes can affect their decisions too.
The other side of discussion and sharing:
Above, I have mentioned the negative side about this topic. Now let us see how discussing and sharing things can help us improve our lives. Do they have any benefits apart from developing a good bond with people?
In the topics above about discussions, I have mentioned some of our faults. Now let’s see how good discussions or sharing things can benefit us. Do we discuss things that are good for our mental health? Also, can they help to live a progressive life?
What could our discussions and sharing be about?
“You are ultimately the sum of your thoughts, words, decisions and actions. The thoughts you share with your family and friends and vice versa can shape your life.”
- Our discussions with our family and friends can affect our lives. A major one of them is discussing things that will help each other add better values to their lives.
- Perspective differs from person to person. Helping others with your perspective in a situation that they consider is difficult to face, can help them have clarity to decide.
- Discussing things that help you take progressive steps in life. Like discussing money, technology, books and other such things.
- Informative Sharing.
- Brainstorming discussions which actually encourage you to think, get more information about that topic (obviously productive topics and not gossip).
Was the conversation necessary?
This is a self-assessment exercise we should all try. After we have had a conversation with anybody, could be a family member or a friend. We could think about what we talked about and question ourselves “Was it necessary to talk about it? Was the conversation useful? Did it help me with anything? What purpose did the conversation serve in my life?”
This questioning could help you, not immediately, but slowly to improve your conversations with people. Not necessary to ask yourself questions when you discuss some important topics about your own life. But definitely question yourself when you discuss or share other topics. At first you won’t figure out the answers or you would be guilty about your conversations. But that is completely okay, as you continue the process of assessment of your conversations for a prolonged period. You would definitely see the progress.
The surrounding people:
“Having a good discussion is like having riches.”
This is the final topic, but is important. Having a conversation is a two-way thing. The points mentioned for a progressive conversations or discussions can only be used if you hang around with people who have a progressive and productive mindset. Choosing to hang around with people who want to lead a healthy, wealthy and a thoughtful life will be the first step. Talking with these people will help you improve your thoughts, words, and also other areas of life.
Also, consciously have fewer conversations with people who keep talking about random, unimportant and useless things. The conversations you have with them might be funny or entertaining, but they would definitely degrade your ability to think productively.
- “Discussion is an exchange of knowledge, values and views.”
- We don’t even remember most of the things we discussed or shared. Mostly this happens because what we had discussed or shared had no real importance, meaning, and they do not have any major role in our lives.
- Sharing negative incidences you saw can be an incorrect choice. As it can affect the receiver. Think twice while sharing such things.
- Self-assessment of what you discuss and share is also a necessary thing.
- Having a good discussion is like having riches.
- Surround yourself with people who will help you think more progressively and productively.
Illustrations by: Prithvi Sawant.
Read our latest piece.
Read more on our site: www.thesacredleaf.co/blogs